Ship Ahoy Cottage
Ship Ahoy is so named for its outlook onto the Marina, the Kowie River and East Beach – and also because of the surveillance of the seas done from this property since the 1840s.
The Hon William Cock, the 1820 settler, lived here and diverted the Kowie River estuary to create a successful port. From the top of the RH property he would watch for and signal to ships entering and leaving Port Kowie. He owned 13 ships, all of which were lost in or near the treacherous sand-barred narrow Kowie River mouth (which can be viewed from upstairs). The Cottage is nautically decorated in blues and beach colours.
The site on which Ship Ahoy was built previously housed stables, as the Kelly family (1930s-90s) were keen equestrians.
This cottage is surrounded by magnificent virgin coastal bush, including aloes and euphorbias. It is one of the prime spots on the property for spotting our Knysna loeries, paradise flycatchers, and a host of other birds. On two magical occasions we have even watched Cape Grysbok nibble in the garden around the cottage!
Summary of facilities
Two bedrooms - one with twin beds, one room with king size bed (Cottage sleeps 4).
Bathroom with bath, shower, basin and toilet
Flat screen TV with DSTV (satellite)
Dining table with 6 chairs
Fully equipped kitchen with dish washer, microwave, hob and oven
Outside hot shower
Patio with large umbrella, chairs and table
Braai (barbeque) facilites